St Augustine’s PE Vision
To ensure that all children will be physically active and find enjoyment and fulfilment in physical activity.
At St Augustine’s Catholic Primary School we aim to develop positive attitudes towards physical education and activity, and promote healthy lifestyles through a balanced programme of dance, gymnastics, games, athletics, swimming and outdoor adventurous activities – and ensure safe practice through promoting high standards of behaviour during indoor and outdoor physical education.
Purposes and Aims
The national curriculum for physical education aims to ensure that all pupils: develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities; are physically active for sustained periods of time; engage in competitive sports and activities; lead healthy, active lives.
These aims are:
- That all children will find a lasting sense of purpose, achievement and fulfilment in physical activity
- To develop children’s self-esteem and confidence
- To teach children various skills e.g. motor skills, hand and eye co-ordination, and strategies and tactics in individual and team sports
- To develop children’s balance, poise and control – and emotional response – to music in dance
- To develop a range of swimming strokes and greater confidence in the water
- To develop positive attitudes to physical endeavour including perseverance, fair play and sportsmanship
- To develop children’s ability to cope with failure and promote a fair response to winning and losing, in a competitive environment
- To teach children about personal safety in relation to their bodies/clothing and dangers in using equipment inappropriately
- To develop children’s knowledge and understanding of the human body and its capabilities
Purpose of study
A high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. It should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
Our Long Term Plan (above) outlines the detail of our curriculum offer. We buy in the services of specialist sports coaches (Beyond The Physical) to support the delivery of high quality lessons. Our curriculum is enhanced by the offer of lunch time and after school clubs and participation in competions.