PE at St Augustine’s
At St Augustine’s, physical activity, and particularly sport are central to our educational ethos. We believe that children who are active and healthy are more likely to be well-motivated, happy children.
PE and sport premium for primary schools
The PE and sport premium is designed to our school improve the quality of the PE and sporting activities we offer our pupils.
Allocation of funding 2016-17
We have been allocated a total of £9720 and committed additional funds (to the P.E. department) to this sum to enable us to carry out our action plan.
This is how we are using our money
Total Expenditure 2016-17 - £13,366
Sports UK Ltd – £10,950
PE SLA - £1000
Healthy Schools SLA - £416
Resources and equipment: £1000
Investment in coaching (Sports UK Ltd)
- We have invested £10,950 in specialist coaches. Sports UK provide a service to our partnership of Catholic schools. We have increased our investment to provide three half-days (a week) of specialist coaching in school - throughout the year, for all pupils from Y1-Y6.
- The aim of this investment is to provide our staff with ongoing professional development in areas of P.E. in which they feel they would benefit from specialist knowledge of the coach and build in sustainability for high quality delivery of PE across school.
- The children have highly qualified coaching staff working alongside their teacher to plan and provide high quality learning experiences for them across the P.E. curriculum.
- The coaches also provide a lunchtime club for children. This rotates across the school throughout the year, and provides children opportunities to take part in sports that are not offered in P.E. lessons.
- This investment also provides inter-school and intra-school competitions around a variety of sports. Please see the attached overview for details.
- Coaches from Sports UK receive professional development through lesson observations and access to training courses.
- Sports UK also provides Y6 children a half-a-day’s training on how to become better play time leaders. A rota for Y6 children to lead KS1 and Y3 children in a number of activities at lunchtimes, is implemented each year.
Please follow the link to find out more about Sports UK
- A rugby kit
- Cones and markers
‘Active Schools’ (LA)
- This service provides guidance and support for our PE lead within school.
- Access to a co-ordinated system of professional development and school improvement support - and strong links with national partners such as the Youth Sport Trust.
- A subject lead for PE who is supported through the offer and has the opportunity to network with other coordinators across the city.
- Access to city-wide programmes/initiatives that can help curriculum development. For example, winning tickets for the start line of the Tour de France, Grand Depart.
- Wider links to other out of school opportunities in the community e.g. BMX sessions offered from Fearnville Sports Centre, ‘The Work’ skate park, Commonwealth Games baton relay festival
- Membership of Youth Sport Trust and their CPD programmes/resources.
- Direct support and guidance with Health and Safety issues.
- Access to consistent competition structures with pathways to progress.
Healthy Schools Service Level Agreement
This service provides guidance and support for both teaching and learning. It provides opportunities for professional development and resources for staff and pupils. As a result of this we have successfully maintained the Healthy Schools Award and developed good practice across the school in SEAL.
Sports clubs (lunch time and after school)
At St Augustine’s we pride ourselves on the amount of physical activity we provide the children with. Lunch time and after school clubs are run during term time.
Football: U9/10/11/Girls and boys teams
Rugby: U10/11/Tag teams
Competitions and tournaments
St Augustine’s has always participated in a wide variety of sporting competitions and tournaments. These have been in a competitive and non-competitive arena.
Our partnership with Sports UK has also allowed us to take part in a number of intra and inter-school competitions. For 2016-17, the following competitions will be organised by Sports UK:
Multi-skills and multi-sports
In the past year we have taken part in the following competitions:
Ann Maguire Fun Run
Leeds Schools Sports Mini Tennis Tournament - Years 3/4 and Year 5
Rugby: U11's Culley 7's, U11's Watson Trophy, U10's Burton Cup
Football: Wigton Moor U11's mixed 7-a-side, U11's Leeds Catholic Schools Cup, U11's/10's Bishop's Cup, U10's Moran cup U11's/U10's/U9's Leeds Schools league, U11's Girls Leeds Schools Merit league, U11's/U10's/U9's/Girls St Barts Cup
Leeds’ Schools Cross Country league; Leeds North East Schools Cross Country Competition at Cardinal Heenan CHS
Brownlee Foundation Triathlon
Leeds Schools Year3/4 Skip Dance